In the past, many of us were told that it is unwise and to drink coffee before exercising, because it causes dehydration, increased blood pressure and could potentially derail your entire workout. Recently, this myth has been debunked, and drinking coffee before your workout, may just be the boost you need.
In recent studies, it has been proven that there are many benefits to having a caffeine fix before hitting the gym. Here are just a few:
- Improved circulation: According to a Japanese study, non-coffee drinkers who drank about 5 ounces of regular coffee before a workout, experienced about a 30 percent increase in blood flow. Increased blood flow and circulation oxygenates your tissues and can boost performance.
- Pain Reduction: Studies show that drinking coffee about one hour before an hour long workout can reduce the level of perceived muscle pain. Less pain means you can push yourself harder for those high intensity workouts.
- Increased Endurance: Like reducing your level of perceived muscle pain, caffeine intake can also reduce your level of perceived exertion. This means, that you are less likely to tap out during your workout, because it seems easier. The easier it seems, the harder you’ll push yourself.
- Increased Fat Burning: Caffeine helps to increase your metabolism which in turn helps you burn fat quickly and easily. Drinking black coffee specifically helps with this.
- Muscle Preservation: The caffeine in coffee triggers the release of a growth factor in the brain called the Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor, of BDNF. BDNF is also expressed in the muscles where it works to support the neuro-motor and helps to maintain youthful muscle tissue. This suggests that caffeine helps to preserve the muscle tissue as you age and can help reduce risk of injury.
So, before hitting the gym for your next workout, or signing up for that spin class, go ahead and drop by your local coffee shop and grab that cup of Joe.